Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cinematic Classics


Neen and I re-watched 'My Fair Lady' the last day and it was as good if not better than ever. Audrey Hepburn at her cinematic best...It got me thinking...I know it's cliched to say - but they really don't make 'em like that anymore. I mean the vast majority of graphic-laden blockbustin' monsters released these days will look dated and quite unimpressive in a few short years...These old musicals are absolute classics and I trust will grace our screens for decades to come...

I've gotta admit I have a serious penchant old school effects and traditional animation. In my opinion one of the greatest examples of visual effects in a film is 'Mary Poppins' which the missus and I also watched this week. This film was a huge influence during my younger years. I must have watched it 100 times by the time I was 10. It's an absolute classic and still looks as visualy impressive as ever. The merging of traditional animation and live action is flawless - and in my opinion a far better example of this style than even 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' it's fellow Disney sibling.


An interesting link between the two aforementioned films is this: Julie Andrews played the lead role of Eliza Doolittle, in the original Broadway stage version of 'My Fair Lady'. When Warner Brothers acquired the film rights and announced a movie would be made - Andrews was quite vocal in her interest to play the screen version of the stage role she had made so famous. Alas due to her relatively unknown status and her non-existent screen experience the more well-known Hepburn was offered the role instead. I can imagine  that was  quite an upset to Andrews at the time. Luckily for all involved Walt Disney offered Andrews the role of Mary Poppins shortly after. Both films were released in 1964, and looking at what could have been both were cast perfectly...

No comments: