Sunday, July 10, 2011

Lego: Hagrid's Hut



Lego was a huge part of my childhood and I hope it will be an equally important influence on my eventual kids early years too. My wife often has to remind me that there's no guarantee our future kids will grow to have any interest whatsoever in the little plastic bricks. I can very much imagine a scenario were my 9 year old son has grown quite adept at feigning interest and surprise as either myself or Santa produces yet another glorious 1000 pc. construction set to be built...

Well back to the point of this blog, every so often I get the notion I want to build a lego set. I know what your thinking! I'm a grown man - that's a little strange right?! We'll sometimes I agree, and go a few years with out a dabble in the Lego pond. Then I watch an interview or behind the scenes featurette with one of my fellow artist/animator colleagues. More often than not sitting on their studio shelves you'll spot a lego set or two...next to a limited edition bust of Batman, and a couple of Family Guy action figures...

That always reminds me I'm not alone in my refusal to grow old. If Neverland were real, I'm sure we artists would have time-shares...

I really think these Harry Potter lego sets are great - and for years have wanted to get one for prosperity sake. Well given the final chapter of the successive series is about to be released...it's safe to assume certain items of merchandise will soon be retired. Now seemed an ideal time to finally pick one up before they are gone. 

It really is a great set. Cleverly conceived, full of little details and very accurate to it's screen counterpart. It's built and has been added to my small but growing collection of sets that will one day be placed on display behind glass  - when my studio is large enough that is.

I guess that's the great thing about being in a career that mostly revolves around creating art for kids...every so often it's perfectly healthy...correction...necessary to act like one. 

No comments: