Sunday, July 25, 2010

Aliens abducted my Mamma!

My opinions concerning extra terrestrial life and UFO's.... The following post is pretty long...if you would prefer to just read the crux of my theory scroll to the end for a synopsis in orange! : )

What’s the point having a blog and airing your thoughts publically if you can’t tackle a few contentious issues now and again. In this case that of UFO’s and the possibility of extra-terrestrial life. I have always been interested in UFOlogy...naturally the more I read, and the older I’ve become my opinions on the subject have too matured. I love science fiction...the art of prediction has always fascinated me. Leonardo De Vinci, although an artist and inventor in many ways can be considered the father of modern science fiction. He spent his life thinking...dreaming...hypnotising. I have huge respect for people who use their minds in such a fashion. Those who dare to think outside the box, but at the same time use science and common sense to back their theory’s. 

Back to the topic at hand. UFO’s. I understand this particular subject is a room divider. I mean the universe is massive. It seems unfathomable and even ego maniacal to assume humans are the only living species in existence. On the other hand the bizarre natures of countless stories of sightings and abductions leaves many a sound mind sceptical to say the least. 

Whether you like it or not Religion and faith plays a huge part in this argument. While at least for the time being I plan on steering clear of Religion as a bloggable subject I will preface my theory by stating for the record my own position. 

I am a Christian, I was brought up a Catholic, although from a very early age I have always questioned and been uneasy with the Church itself as an organization. I’ll leave it at that as I do not wish to insult anyone’s religious beliefs. 

My faith in a higher power however has merely strengthened over the years. I very much believe in a God, and believe the theory of evolution if anything supports the writings of the Old Testament. In my opinion God did not create the world in 7 ‘days’. Life instead evolved over millennia. Humans and apes do share similar ancestry...I take pride in such a fact. Probably because I consider all life of similar value. To me an animal’s soul is of just as much importance as that of a humans. Another contentious point I’m sure but my opinion none the less. 

This brings me back extra terrestrial life. If you are to take as fact Humans evolved from early primates...where to now. I can only assume however slowly we too are still evolving. What changes will both our minds and bodies go through over the next few hundred thousand years? I think another fact we can assume on is humans will eventually take to space. Our planet can realistically only sustain us for so long we will probably have to leave someday...a secondary fact to consider, if we have the technology to explore and learn why wouldn’t we? 

So aliens/extra terrestrials. They have for hundreds of years been described in the following way. Humanoid, large hairless head, bipedal, two large forward facing eyes, slender or in some cases non-existent mouths, similarly small nasal and hearing cavities. Two arms, two legs, fingers however elongated still possessing some form of opposable appendage. Does this description sound familiar yet? 

O.K back to humans. We are, due to climatic and cultural reasons becoming less hairy. Course external body hair is largely for insulation purposes, should we reach a technological period where we have developed a means of completely regulating our environment’s temperature, both body and facial hair will eventually become less necessary. 

A secondary reason for body hair must also be acknowledged. Pubic and facial hair is necessary as an identifying factor in relation to sexual maturity. Genetic engineering may lead to a point where physical attraction/prowess may play less of a role in the area of mating and reproduction. If we don’t need hair to attract a mate....why over generations would we continue to evolve coarse area specific hair follicles? 

Now communication. Whether we are aware of it or not all humans possess the abilty to communicate even on a very small scale telepathically with one another. It’s why so called psychics and tarot readers are so popular. While the vast majority are phoneys a select few probably can pick up on something. Is it the future...of course not. ‘Mind Readers’ merely pick up faint traces of our own internal thoughts, ...and repeat them back to us. It’s not inconceivable to assume telepathy will play some part in the way we communicate in thousands of generations to come. And if this is the case mouths will eventually over time reduce in size and shape given to the fact they are being used less frequently. It is also likely as our brains advance in capability they too will  grow in size.

Visually how are we changing? Well as we’ve evolved over the years our eyes have become larger, more suited to our needs. Pretty safe to assume given our dependency on sight over other once important senses like smell our eyes as instruments will too advance, possibly in size, specialty and ability. Kids these days would be next to useless in a prehistoric hunt. ‘What do you mean you can’t see that caribou, it’s only on the other side of the valley?’ but pop them in a dimly lit room with a computer, television, phone and handheld gaming console and I guarantee you they will demonstrate a level of visual multi-tasking that would stupefy someone from even two hundred years ago. My point being our bodies are changing. They will continue to change according to our environmental and social needs for as long as we as a species ‘live’. 

So back to little grey aliens. If said aliens exist they seem to be interested in learning more about us. Why? If they are that far advanced how much can they expect to learn from such a seemingly un-evolved life form. I mean I doubt you lay in bed at night sleeplessly wondering how South American earthworm colonies are fairing these days!? 

If aliens want our recourses for example, I’m pretty sure they can just take ‘em. They don’t need to abduct and violate our friend Bubba 23 times over a 5 year period to deduce yes we have water and minerals. 

Flying saucers, here one minute gone the next...thousands of sightings yearly but in farness no physical evidence? I don’t know about you but even at warp 8, space travel is still going to be a time consuming past time. Does E.T. really need or want to travel possibly thousands of ‘years’ just to say Hi! If it were up to me I’d probably devise some future method of time and space ‘bending’ for lack of a better word that would allow one to travel without the need to physically move. So UFOS wouldn’t necessary be lumps of metal traversing space but instead portals of light and energy traversing time and space itself. 

Ok lets ignore the science of ‘how’ and ‘why’, and again discuss ‘who’. Let’s say aliens are dropping by to say ‘Howdy, I see your weapons of defence are less advanced than ours, we’ll be having your planet thanks’. Why on earth pardon the pun, would they appear humanoid. I mean we appear as we do because of millions of years of evolution, circumstantial shifts and subtle modifications. Unless circumstances on their home planets have been identical to ours in every single way since the dawn of their respective existence, I’m pretty sure they’ll have evolved an appearance far different to our own. I mean bipedal locomotion is hardly the ultimate form of travel. I personally think dust mites know how to travel in style. Aliens if out there probably look like squidgy balls of light and sound not Marvin the Martian. And more than likely given the sheer incomprehensible vastness of the universe either don’t even know or care we are here. 

So who IS behind all those UFO’s so many have seen and documented, seemingly since the dawn of humanity. If not visitors from a galaxy far far away than who? 

Is it possible that we ourselves, humanity. In thousands or millions of years to come have found a means to revisit the pasts of our ancestors to observe and study without interfering? 

Is it believable to assume that given the basic hypothetical laws of time travel that if it ever does becomes possible, you mustn’t and I repeat mustn’t interfere or change anything. If that is the case you probably shouldn’t walk around. Your best bet at anonymity would be to simply observe from the sky and vanish if seen. (While I do not doubt we/they would have the technology to remain completely unseen, that doesn't mean everyone would opt to. Nor would everyone play by the rules...more than likely many would try to interfere. It would be a flawed and controversial science that would need to be policed.)

Is it tangible to believe that maybe, just maybe our appearances might have changed somewhat as we the human species evolves? Ok class exercise: Grab your Great Aunt Betty,( y’know the bone-skinny slightly kookie spinster you only see at Christmas) and get her to stand in front of a lamp, as the light shines around her squint your eyes, I know she’s blurry but doesn’t she kinda look like a little gray man...possibly from outer space? 

Just a thought... 

Synopsis: 

Aliens and UFO’s are in fact far distant evolved relatives of the human race observing earth and it’s history in the least intrusive means possible. In their case space portal-esue time travel via the skies. Most recorded sightings are fabrications, stemming from media manipulation, scientific and literary coercion and of course our own overactive imaginations, most but not necessarily all.

Aliens are out there. The universe is too big for only one single race but chances are they either don’t know or care about us. They probably have never visited and definitely don’t appear like anything we can even fathom. Defiantly not like E.T or Marvin the Martian.

2 comments:

katiegallagher said...

Wow, that's a really interesting idea to think about. I like it a lot

Nina O'Brien said...

I love how the both of us have the same idea about this, you have thought more deeply into it then I ever could - I loved this post Baby and loved the artwork x