Saturday, July 24, 2010

Henri Matisse Exhibition




I've been super busy the past couple of weeks...pretty much locked in the studio. I missed the recent Galway Film Fleadh this year...didn't even remember it was coming up until it was over. The Galway Arts Festival too pretty much slipped by unnoticed! However there was one exhibition I have really been looking forward to and nearly missed. An exhibition of original lithographs by French painter, sculptor and designer, Henri Matisse (1869–1954). Matisse was one of the 20th century’s most influential artists. The touring exhibition 'Matisse: Drawing with Scissors' features 35 original lithographs of the famous oeuvre produced in the last four years of his life, when the artist was confined to his bed. The collection is being showcased in the wonderful Galway Museum until tomorrow. The following are a select few of my favorite pieces featured in the exhibition.


L'Escargot - 1952-53

'Nuit de Noel' 1952

'Poissons Chinois' 1951

Nu Bleu - 1952

1 comment:

Nina O'Brien said...

Wish I could have seen it with you, I love the blue nudes