Thursday, July 1, 2010

What are your favorite smells?

Weird question I know but what are your favorite smells, we are all primal creatures, I believe our sense of smell is arguably our most important of the senses, especially in relation to the capture, retention and retrieval of memories. Nothing for me triggers memories as quickly or vividly as a passing scent. I recently lost my sense of smell because of a bad sinus infection, I genuinely feared it would never return. Neen above anyone can atone to the fact that I smell everything, maybe it's just me, or even just a guy thing but before I eat anything I smell it. As for my favorite smells a few are as follows:

Chamomile and Spiced Apple Tea: (which I'm drinking as I type) Used to drink it a lot in college, while trying to cut back on coffee.

Vanilla Scrub/Soap: Have always loved this scent, not entirely sure why.

Tornado Skies. Any of ye readers who have ever lived in the States will likely know what I mean. The smell of a sticky moody rain-laden grey sky, just brimming with the threat of either a downpour or if lucky/unlucky  a tornado.

Wrights Coal Tar Soap: I love this soap, and it's been so long since I've remembered to buy it, Neen and I picked up a bar today while doing the weekly shop, this scent is what inspired me to write this blog entry. It reminds me of my grandparents house in Renmore, my favorite house in the world.

Old Spice Aftershave: This scent will always remind me of my father, particularly my father as a young man, dark black hair, polo shirt and shorts, sunny day...

Elizabeth Arden Red Door Perfume: Reminds me of my wife, she used to wear it years ago when we started dating. I still love the smell, it will always remind me of her young 16 year old beautiful spirit.

Brut Aftershave: Another that reminds of my father. Brut along with Old spice are the only two male enginnered scents I really like. I really dislike the smell of deodorants like Lynx as well as really harsh aftershaves, they just remind me of locker rooms and smelly sweaty classrooms (I went to an all boys school)

Coke, Dr Pepper, and Coffee:

New Books:

and lat but not least that New Car Smell: 


UPDATE

Lego: The smell of a new box of Lego! Especially when sent in the post. My grandmother used to send me Lego every Christmas, enclosed with the package would be a tube of Smarties (British sweets similar to M+M's) It's one of my favorite childhood memories!

Christmas: I love the smell of Christmas, it''s my absolute favorite time of year...I cant believe I forgot to include this in the original list! Wrapping Paper, Cinnamon, Spiced Apple, Christmas Trees and Decoration... 

So what are your favorite scents?

3 comments:

Amy Rose said...

Hey, thanks for the music suggestion.

My favorite smell is that of lilacs blooming.

John Galloway said...

Morgan this is so freaky, I sniff everything! Melanie thinks I am strange but I try to explain that is is a natural male instinct lol.

If it smells rotten...then it most likely is rotten ha ha.

I agree that smells are strongest thing there is to bring back memories, cut grass when it is raining always makes me think of Appleby where we used to have a caravan when I was a child.

Orange chocolate always reminds me of when I ate too much chocolate as a child that I was sick....I have never ever eaten orange chocolate since lol

Yeast always reminds me of my Mother as she always used to make fresh bread and the smell used to greet me when I got home from school.

Good post mate I'm glad I'm not the only one that sniffs everything lol ;-)

Nina O'Brien said...

I have so many smells

Sweetpeas- in bloom - I just want to place them in my hair!
Pancakes- the smell of home cooked pancakes never fail to make me hungry
Brute aftershave- date spray style ;)
Chanel perfume always makes me happy
Newborn baby smell- LOVE IT
I love food smells, baked bread, curry, toast etc.... food for the soul