Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Mice, Wolfmen and Zombie Cats

I woke up this morning and as per usual found the cats sleeping in the studio. As I entered Sora and Hope gingerly awoke and with groggy, sleepy, snotty-eyes they dragged their furry bodies across the floor half stretching, half walking and rubbed themselves against my legs like awkward zombies.  To the untrained eye all would appear normal but something was definitely amiss. I stood for a beat just listening and realized things were a bit too quiet. Usually the mere thought of breakfast made the cats boisterous and giddy, Hope especially, but this morning not a creature was stirring not even a mouse....

Maybe I spoke too soon! Suddenly I heard an all too familiar rustling noise, then Sora quite calmly walked over to the source, somewhat uninterested and looked back to me as if to say, 'It's in here!' They had once again brought in a live mouse and at this stage had left it for me...how generous of them!

I immediately scooped up the cats and relocated them to the sitting room, shut the door and returned as quickly as possible to the studio. Occasionally animals brought in the house were largely left unharmed. Hopefully this was a similar situation. If I found him, I might be able to give him a bit of grub and release him to safety outside. The mouse was indeed still alive and as far as I could tell in good health all things considered. I proceeded to block off any and all escape routes and cornered the mouse. I assumed it would be a relatively easy capture but alas it wasn't. The mouse was very afraid, but equally intelligent. He knew "if I don't move I wont be eaten." So he stubbornly stayed put no matter how I tried to coerce him out. I offered bread, which he ate, cheese which he didn't but still he stayed firm.

For two hours I sat on the ground waiting with a plastic Tupperware jar, trying everything I could think of to encourage him into the jar. Bread trails didn't work...neither did loud noises. He would not budge no matter how I tried. I became very aware that if not careful I could inadvertently hurt him in my attempts. He was genuinely scared and simply thought me to be a much bigger cat, simply another predator to avoid. Eventually from perseverance, patience and a smidge of trust on the rodents side, the mouse tentatively ambled from his corner and reluctantly entered the plastic jar. 

Relieved and tired I sat down for a minute and the both of us took a rest. I debated whether it would be best to grant him some recovery time before releasing him, but he appeared OK and I thought the quicker the whole ordeal is over for him the better. He had no visible injuries of any sort and appeared alert so I went outside and released him into the safety of the back shed. Relieved he scurried off...unscathed and ready to fight another day!

I was very relieved to have been able to rescue him but at the same time apprehensive that any of my attempts, however careful may have caused him grief or God forbid pain...I genuinely tried my best and as I type I hope he is happily exploring the moon-kissed night.

On a secondary note, look what arrived today. The signed book and pouch Neen and I won, as mentioned in this earlier post. I'm only a couple of chapters in at this stage but thus far it is a hugely interesting read, I'm really enjoying it. The pouch too is very cool! I love them both and will always cherish them. Hopefully Neen and I will be able to visit Shaun's Wolf Centre in England one of these days...

1 comment:

Neen said...

there was a mouse loose in my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and you took a picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oh Im starting to itch ;) xxx